Thursday, October 15, 2009

Motherless Children

A 30-year-old woman died of breast cancer leaving her three small children behind. Her elderly mother is raising her kids. It's a family affair.

I was asked if I felt sorry for motherless children. I didn't respond. I was asked again.
My mind flashed from scene to scene of the show I stared in.

"Don't you feel sorry for motherless kids?" He waited for my response with misty eyes.

"No," I said, "I'm so happy those children have their family to help them. Their grandmother and their aunts. That's the way it is supposed to be."

"So you don't feel sorry for motherless kids," he asked again.

"No."

His faced confused. Peeping at me, he continued to eat. With misty eyes, he nearly chocked looking at me. So I said,

"My heart goes out to the person who helps the kids. It's not about the kids to me. My heart goes out to the babysitter or caregiver? They are often used then thrown out like an old shoe."

2 comments:

  1. I really feel sorry for the caregiver who's contributions, encouragement, mentorship, and time is unappreciated. This is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anna:

    I see we are on the same page. I feel sorry for the unappreciated caregiver too. That is why I do not feel sorry for motherless kids. I hope I never do again. And if I do, it will be from a distance. There is no need for anyone to look at me with misty eyes. They just don't know. They just don't know.

    ReplyDelete